It was sad to be sewing this quilt after the divorce was set into motion.
It started with a basic windmill pattern.
I was not familiar with this pattern, but I had picked up some antique windmill blocks and noticed they made an interesting pattern side-by-side (pairs of light squares, alternating horizontal and vertical):
I jumped into a purple-and-brown quilt using this scheme, but I did not enjoy sewing so many bias seams together:
Once I started changing my orientation to "on point", I noticed that [duh!] the pattern was simply an alternating one-square and four-square, but a four-square that had been given some more dimension using triangles:
Despite all the extra effort, I like the end product:
And my nephew does, too! He wrote me the nicest note, how he hopes to become as proficient as pottery as I am at quilting. I was so honored.